6. The magnificent and majestic Stephansdom
A trip to the wildly impressive Stephensdom. I'm not sure I can adequately convey the sheer size of this cathedral, where every square centimeter is packed with symbolism and detail.
The right tower. The left tower is distinctly unimpressive unfortunately!
Of note is a precise and deliberate use of the numbers 3, 4, and 7 among things like the windows, trefoils, etc. As is similar in many forms of mysticism, numbers are reference points - magical reminders of holy significance. There are the three points of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,) there are seven days of creation, and so on.
While I had never before been in a cathedral of such splendor, I am always amused by the Church's mishmash of historical artifacts on both the interior and exterior. While the gothic spires reach toward the heavens, the left tower is hilariously lazy. Apparently, the builders began to construct a matching tower, but then gave up halfway and placed a renaissance-era spire at the top. Like, *shrug,* we give up.
well, you tried.
The interior provided a dazzling display of religious iconography.
St. Sebastien, full of arrows. The seminal writer, Yukio Mishima, recreated St. Sebastian's agony in this famous photo.
The "toothache Jesus," which urban myth claims caused some blasphemous disbelievers to have terrible toothaches until they prayed for forgiveness.
The All Seeing Eye of God, with original stained glass in the background.
Comments
Post a Comment